Do I need to have an attorney to get custody?

It is not required that you have an attorney to file a petition for custody. However, there are many complicated issues involved in a custody case and therefore attorney representation may be desired. The Friend of the Court cannot file a petition for custody in a party's behalf. For more information, contact us at 734-222-3050.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get an order for custody?
2. How do I change an existing order for custody?
3. Do I need to have an attorney to get custody?
4. Is there any way the Court can assist us in reaching an agreement on custody?
5. Are there different kinds of custody?
6. After a petition for custody has been filed, and we cannot reach our own agreement, what does the Friend of the Court have to do?
7. Do I have the right to receive a copy of the Friend of the Court report and recommendation on custody?
8. What will happen if I have an order for custody and the other parent does not return the child to me as stated in the Court order?
9. Does the Friend of the Court have a responsibility to investigate alleged abuse and/or neglect of a child?