How do I split or combine my property?

The Land Division Act, Act 288 of 1967, spells out the requirements for dividing land, both platted and unplatted, in the State of Michigan.  It was last amended in 1997 in order to improve the system for the orderly division of land, thus renaming it from the former “Plat Act” to the “Land Division Act”.  Any proposed division must meet the requirements of the Act, and it may also be subject to additional local restrictions.  For this reason, all applications to divide land must be submitted to the local township or city for approval.  Once approved, Property Description will generate a new tax description (an abbreviated form of a legal description for purposes of assessment and taxation) and depict the child parcels on the map.  This is the process only for those townships and cities that use Washtenaw’s parcel mapping services; this omits Scio Township, Ypsilanti Township, and the City of Ann Arbor, which perform these functions internally.  As a result of its involvement in the land division process, Property Description has accumulated a limited archive of historical surveys, copies of which the public may obtain for a fee.

Show All Answers

1. Why did someone from the Equalization Department visit my property?
2. Is Equalization the same as my Assessor?
3. Will Equalization raise my taxes?
4. What is an Equalization Study?
5. Why was my property chosen for the current Equalization Study?
6. Can I refuse to participate in an Equalization Study?
7. How is an Equalization Study conducted?
8. What is County Equalization and the Equalization Report?
9. Where do I submit my Property Transfer Affidavit, PA 260 affidavit, or homestead exemption affidavit?
10. Aside from Equalization, how does assessing work in the State of Michigan generally?
11. What is the Apportionment Report?
12. Why is the Property Description Division attached to the Equalization Department?
13. How do I split or combine my property?