What happens at my appointment?

You will be notified of an appointment at the Prosecutors Office. You must bring all necessary documents such as your child's birth certificate, a copy of a prior acknowledgment of paternity, your marriage certificate, government issued I.D., or a prior judgment of divorce. A questionnaire mailed with your appointment notice must also be completed.

You will meet with an Assistant Prosecutor or legal assistant for an interview. A complaint for a paternity, child support or interstate case will be prepared for your review and signature. Your case will then be filed.

Show All Answers

1. How can I start a case?
2. How do I contact DHS to begin?
3. How is child support collected?
4. How is the absent parent notified?
5. What about custody and visitation issues?
6. What about DNA testing?
7. What about DNA testing in private cases?
8. What about PA approval of judgements of divorces?
9. What happens at my appointment?
10. What if a husband is not the biological father of a child?
11. What if the absent parent does not cooperate?
12. What if the absent parent lives outside of Michigan?
13. What is a child support case?
14. What is a paternity case?
15. What will the court order include?