What do I have to put on the check to identify it as a support payment?

An employer must identify each withholding payment by the employee's name and social security number, case number, amount withheld, and the date on which support was withheld from the employee's income. The employer must also provide its federal employer identification number to the Office of Friend of the Court. For more information, contact us at 734-222-3050.

Show All Answers

1. Who must withhold income?
2. When must income be withheld?
3. How long do I continue withholding money?
4. What if the employee's income is subject to garnishment or other withholding orders?
5. What happens if I don't withhold the money?
6. How do I know if the amount to be deducted changes?
7. What do I have to put on the check to identify it as a support payment?
8. What happens if I receive more than one withholding order for the same person?
9. I have several employees subject to income withholding for support. Must I write a separate check for each one?
10. How often do I have to send in the amounts I withhold?
11. Can I charge the employee for the costs associated with withholding?
12. What if the employee says they do not owe the money and demands that I pay them? What protects me if I am sued for these wages?
13. What if I ignore the order and pay it to the employee?
14. What do I do if this person quits, is fired, or otherwise stops working for our company?
15. What happens if I refuse to hire, or if I take disciplinary action against an employee because of income withholding?