The 14A District Court will be closed until Monday, April 6th except for essential services.
The most important thing that we can do as we move forward is to be as flexible as possible. After meeting with our judges and magistrate, the chief judge and stakeholders the following will take effect immediately:
- All small claims hearings for March and April will be rescheduled to May and June
- All CIs currently scheduled will be rescheduled and any new requests will be scheduled 60 days out
- Judges are rescheduling from their dockets anything that can be reasonably postponed for the next 30 days
- Probation has already adopted a mail-in reporting model and will attempt to do any meetings by phone if possible
- Felony cases will proceed on Thursday mornings only during this time and will be confined to cases where the timelines cannot be waived by both parties or the defendant is in custody. Only essential parties will be admitted for these hearings
- Jury selection for April 3rd and all jury trials will be rescheduled
- All court users should be referred to our website- www.14Adistrictcourt.org for information and updates as well as online resources in which to resolve their case on line.
We are very concerned about the health and safety of all of our 14A family and those who are doing business with the court. Please check with the court before coming if at all possible.
We are working with County Administration, Court Leadership, SCAO, our amazing 14A staff and our court partners to offer ways in which to work through some of these challenges and may change operations moving forward depending on what is decided as making the most sense for the court and it’s users. We appreciate everyone’s patience and grace in this most unprecedented time.
Lisa Fusik- 14A Court Administrator