Controlled burns will be conducted in the spring of 2022 in the following sites in Ann Arbor:
- Olson Park parking lot rain garden
- West Park stormwater basins-Performed on 4/22/2021
- Kingsley and 1st rain garden and the
- Garden Homes rain garden at Miller Ave and Franklin St.- Performed on 4/21/2022
- Rain gardens within the Ann Arbor Waste Water Treatment Plant- Performed on 4/12/2022
Ecologically, it is important to burn these natural areas so that the prairie-like ecosystems continue to flourish. The Washtenaw County Office of the Water Resources Commissioner has collaborated with the City of Ann Arbor’s Parks and Recreation and Public Services departments on the controlled burns located within the City of Ann Arbor. Burn plans will be developed for each site and a burn permit will be obtained from the Fire Department. If you would like to see these documents or have any questions, please contact the Office of the Water Resources Commissioner by emailing [email protected] or by calling 734-222-6860.
The mission of the Office of the Water Resources Commissioner is to provide for the health, safety and welfare of Washtenaw County citizens and the protection of surface water and the environment and to promote the long term environmental and economic sustainability of Washtenaw County by providing storm water management, flood control, development review and water quality programs. Visit www.washtenaw.org/drains.