Mortgage & Tax Foreclosure
For those facing mortgage foreclosure, help is available from Housing of Urban Development (HUD) or Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) counselors at www.consumerfinance.gov/find-a-housing-counselor/
OR call 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) to talk for FREE on the phone with a certified housing counselor.
Additionally, for those Washtenaw County residents aged 55+ facing foreclosure, contact Housing Bureau for Seniors by calling (734) 998-9339 or email [email protected]. Legal Services of South Central Michigan *may* help out qualified homeowners on a case by case basis.
For those facing property tax foreclosure, please contact the Washtenaw County Treasurer's Office at (734) 222-6600 to work with their housing counselor to apply for a one-year financial hardship extension.
To view MSHDA's 2020 Virtual Housing Resource Fair please click this link
- Chart of Mortgage Relief Options for Borrowers with COVID 19 Hardship
- A detailed 7-page Document further explaining the Mortgage Relief Chart
- The Step Forward Michigan Program that helps homeowners stay in their homes by providing up to a $30,000 interest free loans.
- List of Michigan based financial institutions, (mainly local and regional banks) providing mortgage relief related to COVID-19.
- What is Mortgage Forbearance?
- How to request forbearance or mortgage relief
- Consumer Alert - Scams (National Consumer Law Center 2007) (PDF)
- Referrals (including Lawyer Referral Service) (PDF)
- Where Are You in the Foreclosure Timeline (PDF)
- How Do I Write a Hardship Letter (PDF)
- MSUE Homebudget (PDF)
- Keeping Your Home (PDF)
- Let Foreclosure Happen (PDF)
- Life After Foreclosure (PDF)
- Options After the Sheriff Sale (PDF)
- When You Cant Keep Your Home (PDF)
- Options in Foreclosure HC101 Booklet (PDF)