Passport applications are not being accepted at this facility until April 6, 2020.
To find other passport acceptance facilities visit the US Department of State website.
The Washtenaw County Clerk/Register’s office is closed until April 6, 2020 by order of the Washtenaw County Administrator.
Our offices will not be available in-person or by phone during this time.
Certain Clerk/Register services WILL CONTINUE at reduced capacity ONLINE and BY MAIL - PLEASE SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Passports applications are accepted at the Washtenaw County Clerk/Register’s office, Suite 120, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday (excluding observed holidays).
Appointments are not required.
Important Information for Renewals
If you are renewing a passport issued to you when you were age 16 or older that was issued within the previous 15 years, you must renew by mail.
All first-time applicants, including minors, and applicants renewing a passport issued to them when they were under the age of 16 or that is expired more than 15 years must appear in person.
Learn more about the application process at the US Department of State’s Passport Information site.
To comply with passport agency requirements, this office must have the following when accepting your passport application:
- Completed Application (DS-11): Type or print in black ink only. Do not sign application until given oath by clerk.
- Evidence of Citizenship (one or more of the following may be required)
- Certified copy of birth record proving U.S. Citizenship**
- Previously issued U.S. Passport
- Original Naturalization Certificate
- Persons ages 18 years of age or older and applying for a passport must present a valid Drivers License or State issued Identification Card at time of application.
- Persons ages 16 through 17 must be accompanied by one parent listed on child’s birth certificate. Parent must present a valid Drivers License or State issued Identification Card at time of application.
- Persons ages 15 years and under must be accompanied by both parents listed on child’s birth record. Both parents must present a valid Drivers License or State issued Identification Card at time of application. If only one parent is available, the DS-3053 form may be submitted by the absent parent giving permission for that parent to apply for child’s passport is required at time of application. Original notarized signature is required.
- One Passport Photograph
- Photograph must meet Passport Services requirements
- Photograph must have a white/off white background after processing
- Photo must be taken within 6 months of application
- This facility does not take passport photos
- Applicants must bring photos with their application
- Passport Fee payable to Department of State must be paid by check or money order
- $110 - For person(s) ages 16 and older
- $80 - For person(s) ages 15 and under
- Processing Fee: $35 payable to Washtenaw County Clerk Cash, check, or credit cards (Discover, Visa or MasterCard) are accepted for processing fee only. Processing time is set by the U.S. State Department. Hand-Carrying of passports is permitted for customers with proof of urgent departure dates scheduled within 14 days or less. Two-way overnight mail is available (additional fee) and strongly encouraged when expediting applications. Passport renewal by mail is possible in some instances. Please check requirements on Application for Passport by Mail form (DS-82) to see if you qualify. Passport Applications are accepted until 4:30 p.m. If you have any further questions, call 734-222-6730.
**Additional documentation may be necessary for persons that have been adopted or have had a legal name change.
The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used for travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards. The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book.
The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five years for children 15 and younger. For adults who already have a valid passport book, they may apply for the card using the DS-82 Application for Renewal by Mail and pay only $30. The Citizenship, Identification and photograph requirements remain the same when applying for a passport book, a passport card, or both.
Passport Card fees to the Department of State:
- Must be paid by check or money order
- $30 for persons age 16 and older
- $15 for persons age 15 and younger
The processing fee paid to Washtenaw County Clerk is $35 per application, and it can be paid by cash, check or credit card (Discover, Visa or MasterCard). Cash and credit cards are accepted for the processing fee only. If a passport book and passport card are applied for by the same person at the same time, only one $35 processing fee is paid.
For more information, please visit the Travel.State.Gov website.