Re-Applying for a Concealed Pistol License
Re-applications for CCW/CPLs may be submitted by appointment
COVID-19 Clerk/Register Operating Plan
The Clerk/Register’s office is available to the public in-person by appointment, only, in order to allow us to serve the public while carefully adhering to social distancing guidelines designed to protect the health of the public and staff.
Renewal Applications for CPL/CCWs may be submitted online using instructions from a renewal reminder letter previously issued by the County Clerk. Please contact (734) 222-6730 or email [email protected] for more information.
New Applications and Reapplications for a CPL/CCWs may be submitted in-person by appointment. For more information or to make an appointment by contacting: (734) 222-6730 or [email protected].
Please note that the Sheriff’s Office is providing fingerprinting service by appointment, only. Schedule an appointment here for LIVESCAN fingerprinting (not ink) here: https://www.washtenaw.org/1534/Fingerprinting-Information. Your fingerprinting appointment must occur AFTER you have applied for your CPL/CCW at the County Clerk’s office.
If your concealed pistol license is expired for more than one year prior to the date you are applying or you have been found to be not qualified for a license previously, your application is considered a "re-application" - not a renewal or new application.
If you are attempting to renew a license that is expired one year or less prior to the date of application please see the renewal process.
$100 at the point of application, plus a separate payment of $15 at the point of fingerprinting.
Payment Types Accepted
Cash, Check, Money Order, Credit (Visa, MasterCard & Discover, only)
- Obtain an application from County Clerk/Register, local police department, Sheriff Department, or online.
- Complete Pistol Safety Training Course
- Appear in-person and submit completed application and certificate of completion of pistol safety training to:
County Clerk/Register Suite 120
200 N Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
You must complete the training and present the training certificate at the time of application, even if you previously completed training. Your training certificate must state that it complies with the requirements of P.A. 372 of 1927, as amended.
Application must be signed in the presence of a Deputy Clerk. Training must have occurred within 5 years of application date and must state that it complies with the requirements of P.A. 372 of 1927 as amended.
Your training certificate must contain the following, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document:
- the instructor’s name and telephone number
- the name and telephone number of the organization that has certified the individual as an instructor
- the instructor’s instruction certificate number & expiration date of that certificate.
4. Visit the Sheriff’s office to have fingerprints taken:
2201 Hogback Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- You must take the receipt of application received from the County Clerk/Register to the Sheriff’s Office
- The Sheriff’s office provides fingerprinting service on the following, only:
Monday and Friday - 8 a.m. to Noon
Tuesday through Thursday - 1 to 4:30 p.m.
- After fingerprinting a background check is completed. A letter will then be sent informing applicant of approval or disqualification.
- All approved permits are sent through the mail along with the approval letter.
- If a permit is lost or stolen, there is a $10 fee for a replacement.