- Your Government
- Departments A-H
- Clerk / Register of Deeds
- Other Services
- Concealed Pistol Licenses
- Apply for a New Concealed Pistol License
Application Process - New Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
CPL Applications are Accepted In-Person by Appointment, Only
Click here to schedule an in-person appointment.
You must submit your CPL application at the County Clerk's office before being fingerprinted.
*NEW* LiveScan Fingerprint Service Available During CPL Application Appointments
The Washtenaw County Clerk now provides LiveScan Fingerprinting service on-site during CPL application appointments. If you would prefer to visit another local agency for fingerprinting service instead of the County Clerk, staff will provide you with additional information and options at the time of your application appointment.
- Application Fee: $100
- LiveScan Fingerprinting Fee: $15
Payment Types Accepted
Cash, Check, Money Order, Credit (Visa, MasterCard & Discover, only)
New & Re-Application Process
- Obtain an application from County Clerk/Register, local police department, Sheriff Department, or online.
- Complete Pistol Safety Training Course
- Appear in-person and submit completed application and certificate of completion of pistol safety training. Service is available by appointment. Click here to schedule an in-person appointment.
All Training Certificates must be dated within 5 years of application and must include the following information, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document:
- the instructor’s name and telephone number
- the name and telephone number of the organization that has certified the individual as an instructor
- the instructor’s instruction certificate number & expiration date of that certificate
- the instructor's signature
- the applicant's name
- the certificate of completion shall contain the statement "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372."
- Have your fingerprints taken using a LiveScan system. The Washtenaw County Clerk is now providing LiveScan Fingerprinting service on-site during CPL/CCW application appointments. If you would prefer instead to visit another local agency for fingerprinting service, County Clerk staff will provide you with additional information at the time of your appointment. You must first apply for your CPL prior to having your fingerprints taken.
After fingerprinting a background check is completed. A letter will then be sent informing applicant of approval or disqualification.
All approved permits are sent through the mail along with the approval letter.
If a permit is lost or stolen, there is a $10 fee for a replacement.