Solid Waste Planning
Solid Waste Plan
Solid Waste Plan Amendment
1999 to 2000 Solid Waste Management Plan Process
Washtenaw County last prepared an update to its Solid Waste Management Plan in 2000, as required by Part 115 of the National Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended (Act 451). The planning process spanned over two years and involved a broad base of stakeholders representing cities, townships, environmental groups, regional planning agencies, waste industries, and the general public. An overview of the planning and approval process included:
- October 22, 1997: Fourteen-member Solid Waste Planning Committee appointed by the Board of Commissioners.
- August 10, 1999: Draft Plan Update released for 90-day public comment period.
- October 19, 1999: Public Hearing held on draft Plan.
- November 9, 1999: End of public comment period.
- April 12, 2000: Plan was approved by the Solid Waste Planning Committee.
- April 14, 2000: Plan was approved by the Board of Public Works.
- May 3, 2000: Plan was approved by the Board of Commissioners.
- May 22, 2000: Plan was submitted to all local municipalities for review.
- October 20, 2000: Plan was submitted to Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality for final approval.
- October 19, 2001: Plan received final approval by the State of Michigan and became the official Solid Waste Management Plan for the County.