This lake management project provides lake improvement to Whitmore Lake by controlling invasive and nuisance aquatic weeds.
The weeds are controlled by the application of special chemicals to the lake, followed by additional spot applications as necessary. The current lake management project is for a five year period (2012 to 2016).
The special assessment district for the Whitmore Lake Improvement Project is situated within Northfield Township, Washtenaw County, and Green Oak Township, Livingston County. There are 868 parcels located in the special assessment district.
Special Assessment District Information
- Notice of 2nd Public Hearing (PDF): Official Notice of July 24, 2017 Public Hearing, Special Assessment Information, Map, Frequently Asked Questions
- Notice of 1st Public Hearing (PDF): Official Notice of July 24, 2017 Public Hearing, Special Assessment Information, Map, Frequently Asked Questions
- 1st Public Hearing Notice and Project Description (PDF): Includes map of the Special Assessment District, Frequently Asked Questions, Project Costs and time and location of the first Public Hearing (April 9, 2012).
- 2nd Public Hearing Notice (PDF): Official notice of May 7, 2012 hearing.
- Property Listing (PDF): View the complete Special Assessment District by property tax identification number. Listing includes the total Amount Assessed against property over five years.
Public Hearing 2017
The purpose of this meeting was to hear objections to a proposed Lake Improvement Project for Northfield Township in Washtenaw County and for Green Oak Township in Livingston County. The meeting took place on August 30, 2017.
- See information packet (PDF) - Notice of August 30, 2017 Public Hearing, Special Assessment Information, Map, Frequently Asked Questions
- See related documents (PDF) - Projected 2017-21 Budget, May 2017 Field Report, 2016 Annual Report
Herbicide Application & Weed Harvesting Maps
View the Whitmore Lake Financial Reports.
View the Whitmore Lake Field Reports.
View the Whitmore Lake Annual Reports.
Other Reports & Resources
- 2006 Fishery Habitat Assessment Report (PDF): The information included in this report pertains to fishery habitat assessment conducted by SEAS on 27 June 2006.Fish on a Hook
- March 15, 2006 - The Northfield Courant Newspaper: Project Update (PDF): The Whitmore Lake Water Quality Advisory Board met to discuss the results of the 2005 lake management activities as well as the plans for 2006 and the renewal of the Whitmore Lake Improvement Project. The 2006 outlook for boating, swimming and fishing this summer is outstanding due to the efforts of the past and the continuing efforts to combat the spread of invasive hybrids and other nuisance species.
- June 25, 2005 - The Northfield Courant Newspaper (PDF): Whitmore Lake Quality Shows Marked Improvement: The Whitmore Lake Improvement Project is a three year lake management project coordinated by the Washtenaw County Board of Public Works on behalf of Northfield and Green Oak Townships. The project involves yearly fishery, vegetation and water quality studies. The data obtained from the studies is utilized to determine the types of control measures applied to stop the proliferation invasive species and improve the overall health of the lake.
- 2010 Fishery Habitat Assessment Report (PDF) Washtenaw County Division of Public Works as part of the Whitmore Lake improvement Project contracted with Aquest Corporation and Superior Environmental & Aquatic Services LLC (SEAS) to conduct assessments of aquatic vegetation and fishery habitat.
- 2010 - Update on Observations of Starry Stonewort (PDF)