Chain of Lakes
The Washtenaw County Public Works Division has been requested by lake communities in northern Washtenaw and southern Livingston Counties to undertake a lake management program to control invasive weeds and provide lake management oversight.
This project will provide lake improvements to the Chain of Lakes by controlling invasive and nuisance aquatic weeds through the application of herbicides to the water and mechanical weed harvesting.
The Chain of Lakes Improvement Project is a five (5) year project to control the growth and reproduction of non-native invasive weeds, including Eurasian Milfoil and Starry Stonewort. The project will include spot treatments in problem areas and support other activities that would enhance the recreational and biological quality of the lake. Additionally, all necessary regulatory approvals and scientific studies for the chemical treatments as well as the creation of a lake management plan are included in the project.
The total estimated cost for the five (5) year project is $1,952,530. A Special Assessment District consisting of benefiting parcels in Washtenaw and Livingston Counties will cover the total estimated cost of the project. Commercial and residential waterfront and lake access parcels form the project special assessment district because these parcels receive a benefit from the implementation of the project. The cost of the project will be distributed using the formula reflecting the varying benefit provided to each type of property.
Included Lakes and Bodies of Water
The following lakes are included in this Chain of Lakes assessment and management project. Please click on the corresponding links to view the survey and analysis reports for each body of water.
Chain of Lakes Documents
- August 3, 2018 Huron River Chain of Lakes Project Update
- July 13th, 2018 Huron River Chain of Lakes Project Update
- July 3rd, 2018 Permit Issuance Update
- June 22, 2018 Permit Issuance Update
- June 12, 2018 Permit Issuance Update
- May 22, 2018 Permitting Process Update
- May 22nd 2018 Volunteer Lake Sentinel Observer Program Workshop
- October 4, 2017 Reducing Assessments Memo (PDF)
- September 8, 2017 Update (PDF)
- September 15, 2017 Update (PDF)
- August 25, 2017 Permitting Process Update (PDF)