There are many resources available to Washtenaw County Residents:
The County’s Office of Community and Economic Development has put together a list of essential services. They have also compiled a living document of service providers that can help with housing, children & youth support, health, and other services.
- Water - The Governor has suspended water shutoffs through the end of the year. Residents of Superior Twp, Ypsilanti City and Twp, and Pittsfield Twp having trouble paying their water bill can get assistance through the WRAP program. Residents of other communities should contact their local water authority.
- Gas/Electric - Customers in need of payment assistance should contact their provider: DTE or Consumers.
Food assistance, Healthcare Coverage, and Other Benefits
- Create a MI Bridges account to apply for State benefits
- Food Gatherers has a list of food pantries and free meals available in the area
- The Washtenaw Health Plan can help you find health coverage
- The Home Rehab program can provide: needed home repairs, including a new roof; emergency repairs to furnace, water heater, or sewer; and wheelchair ramps
- The Weatherization program can provide free home improvements including: insulation; furnace and water heater repairs; caulking and weather-stripping
- Habitat for Humanity has a free refrigerator replacement program for qualifying applicants
Resources for Seniors
- Catholic Social Services has day programs, volunteer caregivers, chore services (outdoor chores, minor home repairs, safety installation), and other resources
- Area Agency on Aging provides assistance to seniors and their families
- Jewish Family Services can deliver meals, provide transportation, counseling, and other services
- UM’s Housing Bureau for Seniors works to prevent homelessness by providing foreclosure and eviction prevention. They also provide free income tax preparation and other services
Mental Health & Crisis Support
- Community Mental Health has a 24/7 hotline: 734-544-3050
- Safehouse Center provides support for domestic violence and sexual assault survivors
- Ozone House can help youths in crisis including safe housing, counseling, food, and LGBTQ support
- Thrive Counseling has individual, couples, and family counseling available