Order Certified Copies of Vital Records
Requests for vital records are currently being processed online and by mail, only. Please choose one of the following options:
Submit Request Online
To order a birth record or military discharge (DD-214) online you must do both of the following:
- Submit a copy of the front and back of your current, valid drivers’ license, state issued ID, passport, or Washtenaw County ID card to the Vital Records Division’s Secure ID Submission Site or by fax to (734) 222-6786.
- Submit your request and credit card payment through the Vital Records Self Service site.
To order death, marriage or business name records online you must:
- Submit your request and credit card payment through the Vital Records Self Service site. No ID is required.
Submit Request By US Postal Service Mail
Mail the following to the Washtenaw County Clerk Vital Records Division, 200 N. Main, Suite 100 P.O. Box 8645, Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8645
- Form: Request for Certified Copies of Vital Records (PDF)
- Check or money order made payable to the Washtenaw County Clerk (fees are listed on the form)
- For birth records and military discharge (DD-214): Photocopy of the front and back of your current, valid drivers’ license, state issued ID, passport, or Washtenaw County ID card
- Records for births that occurred in Washtenaw County since 1867 are available from the Washtenaw County Clerk/Register Vital Records office.
- Records for births that occurred outside Washtenaw County must be obtained from the County Clerk where the birth occurred or from the State of Michigan.
- Birth records are confidential and may ONLY be requested by the individual on the record, a parent who is named on the record, or a legal guardian/representative. Additional documentation will be required of applicants stating they are an heir, legal guardian or legal representative of the person named on the record.
All copies issued by this office are certified copies with a "raised" seal. The issuance of certified copies is governed by Michigan statutes.