Schools, Childcare, Camps & Sports
Updated October 13, 2021
This page contains information and links for reporting COVID-19 positive cases for your school, child care facility, summer camp, or athletic team or group. It also provides requirements and guidance for safer operations. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Washtenaw County Health Department at [email protected] or 734-544-6700.
Effective September 7, 2021, the Washtenaw County Health Department has issued two local public health orders for Washtenaw County educational institutions and settings: one requiring face masks indoors and one requiring isolation and quarantine. The isolation and quarantine order was updated as of 9/15/21. Learn more about the orders here.
*See a summary of scientific literature on the effectiveness of face masks to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission here.
Reporting COVID-19 cases
Use this secure form to report confirmed cases of COVID-19 connected to a school, childcare facility, camp, sports team, or other group. Washtenaw County is using a standardized reporting template. If you need the template, it is here: https://bit.ly/WCHDschoolreport
- Please provide parent/guardian contact information when reporting. Please do not send us contact information for any minors.
- See the School/Childcare Reporting Flowchart for a Confirmed COVID-19 Case.
- Please note that a close contact is generally defined as someone who had face-to-face contact with an infected person within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes. There may be exceptions to this criteria in certain cases where the risk of transmission is higher (e.g. during contact sports).
Information for Parents & Guardians
- What Families Can Do to Minimize COVID-19 Risk for Their Children in School
- COVID-19 testing sites
- COVID-19 vaccine information
K-12 School Recommendations and Information
- WCHD Summary of K-12 School Guidance (as of 10/8/21)
- MDHHS K-12 School Guidance
- Legal requirements vs. recommendations - Information shared through the Michigan Association for Local Public Health
- The CDC recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Athletics - Recommendations from MDHHS
- Schools & Childcare Programs - Guidance from the CDC
Child Care Information
- Guidelines for Safe Child Care Operations During COVID-19 - Requirements and recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, updated Aug 23
- Masks in Child Care - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Checklist for COVID-19 exposures and positive cases - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Child Care Licensing Bureau - Child care information for licensed facilities and families from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Frequently Asked Questions - Guidance for child care operations from the State of Michigan
- Schools & Child Care Programs - Guidance from the CDC
Sports & Athletics Information
- COVID-19 Information and Resources for Athletics - Recommendations from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Considerations for Youth Sports Administrators - Recommendations from the CDC
- Sports Program FAQs - Recommendations from the CDC
Summer Camp Information
- For questions or cases affiliated with the University of Michigan summer camps, please contact UM Environment, Health and Safety at [email protected] or 734-647-1143.
- Guidelines for Camp Operations During COVID-19 - Requirements and recommendations from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
- Residential Summer Camp Testing Guidance - Recommendations for COVID-19 testing for overnight camps from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Guidance for Operating Youth and Summer Camps During COVID-19 - Recommendations from the CDC