Parks Service Officer
Please Note: Applications for the 2022 season are no longer available. Applications received will be added to a waitlist for the 2023 season.
COMPENSATION: $17.00 - $19.00 per hour
TITLE: Park Service Officer (PSO)
UNION AFFILIATION: None
Note: This position is temporary / seasonal and does not provide any fringe benefits.
Under the supervision of the PSO Command Officer or other higher classified employee, The Park Services Officer monitors county park users, enforces park rules and regulations, performs duties involving public relations and dissemination of information concerning county park facilities, notifies law enforcement of criminal activity, and performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Patrols the parks within Washtenaw County
- Assures safety requirements
- Prevents vandalism, fires, area misuse, and other undesirable activities
- Assures Park rules and policies as adopted by the Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission
- Maintains good relationships with the general public, as well as public and private officials
- Performs a variety of public relation functions in line with performance duties
- Patrols an assigned area during a specific period in a motorized patrol vehicle and /or on foot
- Issues citations for appropriate violations
- Reporting for and testifying for court appearances related to issuance of citations
- Investigation of minor complaints occurring within county parks
- General assistance to the public
- Emergency medical assistance
STANDARD PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Duties require sufficient mobility to work and maneuver within various park terrain for extended periods of time and to work in a normal office setting and use standard office equipment including a computer, vision to read printed materials and a VDT screen and hearing and speech sufficient to communicate in person or over the telephone. Employees must be physically and mentally fit to perform all the required duties of the classification. These requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND EDUCATION
- At least eighteen (18) years of age
- Valid Michigan operator’s license
- United States Citizenship
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- Successful completion of a selection process conducted by the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office
At least one (1) year of progressively more responsible experience working with people preferred.