WCSO Hiring Process
For those seeking employment with the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office, we strive to keep applicants well informed regarding the various steps of the hiring process. While each position is unique and the requirements/process may vary based on the position in which you're applying, below is a basic overview of what you can expect:
- Submit an application online: A list of current employment opportunities is available on our Job Openings page or accessible on the Washtenaw County Job Postings Site
- Informational Session, Additional Documentation, and Required Testing: Dependent on which position(s) you have applied for, you may be invited to attend an informational session to provide insight into the steps of the hiring process, operations, benefits, etc. If you've applied for a position that doesn't require an informational session, you will be contacted with instructions requesting the completion of additional documentation and/or testing requirements. Please review the information on the Pre-Employment Testing Page to reference which test(s) will be required for the position(s) you're interested in.
- Criminal History/Driving Record Check: You must have a valid driver's license. Applicants will not be eligible to move forward if any of the following apply: active Arrest Warrant, seven (7) or more points on Driving Record within the last two (2) years of the date of application, conviction of drunk/impaired driving within five (5) years of the date of application, felony conviction, domestic violence conviction.
- Interviews: Most positions will require two (2) interviews: the first interview is competency based. Following the successful completion of the competency interview, you will complete a Senior Management Interview with the Commander or Director of the division in which you're applying.
- Background Investigation: Our background investigators will conduct a thorough investigation including, but not limited to, employment, education, court, and law enforcement checks.
- Conditional Job Offer: All positions will require a medical examination. Some positions may also require the completion of a psychological evaluation and/or firearms qualifications.
- Final Job Offer: Congratulations - let's determine a start date!
Please do not hesitate to contact WCSO Human Resources at (734)973-4650 with any questions you may have.