We are unable to accept marriage applications through April 13, 2020.
Please read on for more information and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions:
The Washtenaw County Clerk/Register’s office is closed to the public until April 13, 2020.
Marriage applications require an in-person signature from at least one of the applicants (MCL 551.102).
Our offices will not be available in-person or by phone during this time.
We will work to get licenses to those who have already applied.
The Clerk’s Office suggests applying for a marriage license when we reopen in April if necessary. This means that the date of your legal marriage may be different from the date of your celebration. Many people do this anyway (e.g. parties/vows in foreign countries but a legal ceremony here, a small legal ceremony separate from a big party, etc.). If your officiant needs to hear from us that we are not issuing licenses at this time, please direct them to email email@example.com.
Certain Clerk/Register services WILL CONTINUE at reduced capacity ONLINE and BY MAIL - PLEASE SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
(Suspended until April 13, 2020):
Marriage License Applications (PDF) accepted until 4 p.m. at: Vital Records
200 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48107
- One or both applicants must appear in-person to apply for the marriage license. If only one applicant is present, they must have all items listed below for both persons.
- The following is required of both persons at the time of application (Photocopies or pictures on a cellphone are acceptable):
- Unexpired driver’s license, state-issued identification card, or Washtenaw County ID Card showing a correct address,
- Birth certificate (does not need to be a certified copy - only certificates issued by a government office are acceptable, not a hospital certificate),
- and Social Security Card (if card is not available, you must know the number). If an applicant does not have a Social Security Number they must appear in person.
- Persons 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parental consent. Persons 16 and 17 must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent listed on the birth certificate, who must appear in person at the time of application, will be required. Valid identification of parent is required.
- For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current, valid driver’s license, State-issued identification card, or Washtenaw County ID Card.
- If one person is a Washtenaw County resident, you may apply in our office. The license is valid throughout the state.
- If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they are to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
- Foreign-born persons, in addition to state-issued identification card, driver’s license, or Washtenaw County ID Card, must have one of the following:
- Green card,
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Card,
- Naturalization Papers,
- Valid passport, U.S. or Foreign (with acceptable visa status, if applicable),
- or Canadian or Mexican born persons may use their birth certificates (if translated)
- Inmates in the Michigan Department of Corrections system; see information here.
- Premarital counseling or testing is no longer required.
Fees (per couple)
(Marriage must occur in Washtenaw County)
|Waiver of Three-Day Waiting Period||$50|
Payments types accepted
Cash, check, money order, debit, credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, only)
- The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application (MCL 551.103a):
- Apply on Monday and the license is available for pick up on Thursday after 3 p.m.
- Apply on Tuesday and the license is available for pick up on Friday after 3 p.m.
- Apply on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday and the license is available for pick up on the following Monday after 3 p.m.
- License is not available for pick up on weekends or legal holidays.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed within 33 days of application.
- A list of judges, magistrates, and mayors who perform marriages in Washtenaw County is available upon request.
- Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.
- If you have further questions please call (734) 222-6720.
- Certified copies should be available 7 to 10 business days after date of marriage.