Residential Projects - Soil Erosion Control


Residential properties with earth changes within 500 feet of surface water and disturbs more than 225 square feet require a SESC permit.

Residential Permits expire 18 months from the date of issuance. 

Inspections will be performed throughout the duration of the permit. 


A Residential Waiver may be applicable for earth changes that:

  • Are over 500 feet from all surface water AND disturb less than one (1) acre  OR
  • Earth changes within 500 feet of surface water AND disturbs less than 225 square feet

Please contact us at 734-222-6860 to obtain the waiver application form.

How to Apply

A complete submittal will include the following:

Submittals may be returned if incomplete. 

Two people stand on site looking at a plan.




Electronic submittal is easy!

Just email your complete application
and site plan to

Complete application submittals can be mailed to:

SESC Program
705 N Zeeb Rd
Ann Arbor MI 48103

Place your complete application
submittal in the
RED dropbox
located outside the
Western Washtenaw   Service Center
705 N Zeeb Rd.
Ann Arbor MI 48103

After you Apply

  • Once your application and site plan have been received, you will receive an invoice for your application fee via email. If no email is provided, it will be mailed to the address provided on the application.
  • Upon payment of this invoice, your submittal will enter the queue to be reviewed by a Soil Erosion Officer.
  • A Soil Erosion Officer will perform a site inspection and review your proposed SESC plan. You will be contacted by phone to discuss changes to the plan if needed.
  • Once your application has been approved, you will be notified the permit has been issued. There is an option to indicate your preferred contact on your application.

Image of a neighborhood under construction

We strive to review permits within 2 weeks of payment of the application fee.

Check the status and detail of permits using our Citizen Self Service portal.

Categories & Application Fee Schedule

Residential Waiver*Earth changes that are over 500 Feet from surface water that disturb less than one (1) acre or earth changes within 500 feet of surface water, disturbing less than 225 square feet, and not contributing sediment to surface water$50
Minor Residential Project*Earth changes within 500 feet of surface water with a disturbance between 226 to1,200 square feet in size$150
Major Residential Project*Earth changes within 500 feet of surface water with a disturbance of 1,201 square feet to 10 acres$200
Major Residential Project, plus 10 acres*For all projects over 10 acres of disturbance$200 plus $25 per acre

Image of a house on a hill with lawn and trees

When a permit receives a final inspection, and all fees are paid, a Certificate of Completion will be issued.

Closing Out a Permit

The following requirements must be met for closure of the soil erosion permit unless otherwise indicated:

  1. All disturbed areas are permanently stabilized in a manner to prevent soil movement or loss from erosive forces such as rain, ice, gravity or wind.
  2. Any temporary SESC controls have been removed.
  3. All permanent erosion control measures are in place and maintained and the site has been established per the approved soil erosion control plan.
  4. All fees shall be paid. Failure to pay fees will result in late fees and enforcement.

Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner's Office SESC Jurisdiction Areas 

View PDFwashtenaw county township grids and cities colored with agency responsible for SESC permits

WCWRC has SESC jurisdiction in:

  • Augusta Township
  • City of Dexter
  • City of Milan
  • City of Saline
  • City of Ypsilanti
  • Lodi Township
  • Northfield Township
  • Salem Township
  • Saline Township
  • Scio Township
  • Sharon Township
  • Superior Township
  • Webster Township
  • York Township

Other SESC Agency Jurisdictions

City of Ann Arbor Building Division734-794-6263
Ann Arbor Township Building & Zoning
Chelsea Area Construction Authority
Pittsfield Township Planning, Engineering & Code Enforcement
Western Washtenaw Construction Authority
Ypsilanti Township Planning & Zoning