- Records for births that occurred in Washtenaw County since 1867 are available from the Washtenaw County Clerk/Register Vital Records office, except the following:
- Records of births that took place prior to October of 1978 where the parents were not married
- Adopted birth records filed prior to 1989
These birth records may be obtained only from the State of Michigan
- Records for births that occurred outside Washtenaw County must be obtained from the County Clerk where the birth occurred or from the State of Michigan.
- Birth records are confidential and may ONLY be requested by the individual on the record, a parent who is named on the record, or a legal guardian/representative. Additional documentation will be required of applicants stating they are an heir, legal guardian or legal representative of the person named on the record.
Certified copies of vital records are available through the Vital Records Office. All copies issued by this office are certified copies with a "raised" seal. The issuance of certified copies is governed by Michigan statutes.
Fees for Certified Copies
|Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time (per copy)||$5|
|Senior citizen fee (65 years and older) for a senior requesting a copy of their own birth certificate||$5|
Payments types accepted in-person
Cash, check, money order, debit, credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, only)
Payment types accepted online
Credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, only)
Payment types accepted by mail
Check, money order
Requests must be accompanied by a photocopy of the front and back of the valid drivers license or state issued identification.
- In person at the Vital Records Office (with form, below)
- By Mail (with form below, pay by check or money order only)
Washtenaw County Clerk – Vital Records Division
200 N. Main, Suite 100 P.O. Box 8645
Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8645
Form: Request for Certified Copies of Vital Records (PDF)