All visitors are subject to metal detection of their person and x-ray of their belongings.
The following items may not be brought into the buildings: guns, knives, razors, scissors, box cutters, knitting needles, nail files, and any type of spray. All packages may be inspected. Dangerous or illegal objects may be seized.
The following items are prohibited in the courtrooms:
- Electronic equipment including, but not limited to, recording devices (unless approved by the court)
- Inappropriate attire, such as t-shirts with profanity, depicting violence or sexual acts, promoting drug or alcohol use or victim shirts (i.e. shirts with R.I.P., etc.); muscle shirts; tank tops; halter tops; shorts; cut-off jeans; baggy pants that fall below the hips; micro-mini skirts; pants with holes; hats (except those worn for religious purposes)
- Food, beverages, chewing gum, tobacco
- Children making noise
Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.
Cell Phones, Laptops and Pagers: Cell phones and laptops with operable cameras and/or recording devices are NOT permitted by the public and will NOT be allowed in the courthouse. Cell phones and laptops without cameras and recording devices are permitted in the courthouse. Permitted cell phones, laptops and pagers must all be placed in the silent mode, unless otherwise instructed at entry to the building. You may not use cell phones, laptops and pagers in the courtrooms or hearing rooms. Use of cell phones, laptops and pagers in other areas of the courthouse is permitted.
Outside lockers may be used (at the user’s risk) to store small items or items may be returned to a vehicle for safe keeping. The County will not be responsible for items left in lockers.
MCR 3.106 Court Officers
Below is the list of people/agencies authorized to perform Court Officer duties for the Washtenaw County Trial Court in accordance with MCR 3.106:
1. Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office
2. James Damron (8/31/2018 - 8/30/2020)
Court Security Mission
The Sheriff's Office Mission is to partner with the Judicial System to establish a safe, secure,
professional, innovative, and service orientated environment that enables the Judicial System
to serve the community effectively.