Drain Use Permits

Crossing, modifying, discharging to a county drain or any work within a county drain easement requires a permit from the Washtenaw County Water Resources Commissioner.

How to Apply

Please submit a drain use permit application, plans showing the proposed crossing, modification or discharge, and appropriate fees to our office for review. See plan requirements and fee details here.

If you are seeking to discharge to a County Drain, you will also need to submit an Affidavit of Pollution Prevention and Environmental Protection (PDF).

If you are working on behalf of the property owner a Designated Agent Form will be required. 

Permits from other agencies may also be necessary.




Electronic submittal is easy!

Just email your complete application
and site plan to
[email protected]

Complete application submittals can be mailed to:

705 N Zeeb Rd
Ann Arbor MI 48103

Place your complete application
submittal in the
RED dropbox
located outside the
Western Washtenaw   Service Center
705 N Zeeb Rd.
Ann Arbor MI 48103

After you Apply

  • Once your application, site plan, and pollution prevention affidavit (for discharges to the drain) have been received, you will receive  you an invoice for your application fee via email, if fees were not submitted with the application.  
  • Upon payment of this invoice, your submittal will enter the queue to be reviewed by a Stormwater Engineer. 
  • A Stormwater Engineer will review your proposed plan and, if needed,  issue a review letter to request changes to the plan via email. You can submit your revised plan at your convenience.
  • After your application and plans has been approved, you will receive an email containing your permit to post on your site as necessary. 

Need Help?

We understand the drain use permitting process for construction projects can be overwhelming. 

We are here to help! 

We can assist you by answering your questions, finding the information to complete your application, or obtaining aerial images for your site plan. 

Call us M-F 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM at 734-222-6860 for assistance.