Special Assessments

Under the Drain Code of 1956, the Water Resources Commissioner shall make a special assessment roll for the drain for each county, township, city, and/or village affected. These assessments cover many of the expenses of locating, establishing and constructing the drain, including maintenance of the drain.

View the Special Assessment Brochure (PDF).

Requesting Drain Payoff

If you are requesting Drain Payoff information, please use this form.

Under Michigan's Public Act 185 of 1957, the Washtenaw County Board of Public Works (BPW), a division of the Water Resources Commissioner's Office, may create special assessment districts for projects such as lake improvements and operating expenses for Western Washtenaw Recycling Authority. Currently, no BPW special assessments can be paid off.


Board of Public Works special assessment districts include:

Additional Information

You may contact our main office at 734-222-6860. You can also email inquiries to Washtenaw County Water Resources.

Copies of the Michigan Drain Code are available from the State of Michigan Materials Management Division at 517-322-5088.