Time of Sale Program (TOS)
The "Time of Sale" program is a regulation that requires residential on-site well and septic systems to be inspected before a home can be sold in Washtenaw County. Homeowners interested in selling their home hire an inspector certified by Washtenaw County to do the inspection.
Since approvals are valid for one year, we strongly recommend that the well and septic inspection is completed BEFORE the home is listed for sale!
Important Information for Certified Time of Sale Inspectors
We are now accepting Time of Sale reports through our Permitting, Inspections & Requests Online Citizen Self Service Portal! Inspectors can upload the completed report, water sample results, and site plan, and pay the associated fees online. During this transitional period, we will continue to accept reports submitted via email, mail, drop box, fax, or over the counter.
- Link to online reporting and payment portal: https://permits.ewashtenaw.org
- Link to updated TOS report form: Time of Sale Inspection Report (updated 11/1/23)
- For best results, download the inspection report to your computer and then type the data into it.
- Instructions for creating a new online portal account and navigating your dashboard: Citizen Self Service Account Instructions
- Instructions for submitting a Time of Sale inspection report and paying online: Time of Sale Report Submittal Tutorial
- When did this program start?
- What does this regulation require?
- Why do we need this program?
- What does this mean to homeowners who want to sell their property?
- Must all systems be brought up to current standards?
- Are there any exceptions to this regulation?
- Does this program delay home sales?
- How can I sell a house before repairs are completed?
- How are these inspections accomplished?
- What does this program cost?
- When can I expect the results?
Recommendations for a Smooth Process
- Have the inspection conducted prior to, or at the time of, listing the property for sale. This will help avoid any delays in property closing and will also provide lead time to take corrective actions should they be necessary.
- Do not involve two inspectors or get "second opinion" inspections. These lead to lengthy delays and confused buyers.
- Call our office if there are questions from either the purchaser or the seller. We are able to explain the requirements of the program in a non-biased manner, which can help with the sale of the home.
- If any repairs or replacement work is needed, competitive bidding should occur after any required permit is issued.
Western Service Center
705 N Zeeb Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
P.O. Box 8645
Ann Arbor, MI 48107
Phone: 734-222-3800Fax: 734-222-3930
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
*Closed 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Marissa DiCiccoSanitarian - Well, Septic, Time of SalePhone: 734-222-6846
Noelle BowmanSanitarian - Well, Septic, Time of SalePhone: 734-222-3881