Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
On June 21, 2021, we began transitioning to a new permitting system. If you have a permit issued after June 21, it has the new IVR phone number and the IVR PIN needed to schedule an inspection. If you have a permit issued prior to June 21, you can call the office to schedule your inspections at 734-222-3900 Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm or you can fax your inspection request to 734-222-3930 (faxing does not guarantee a requested date), or you can email your request to [email protected] (emailing does not guarantee a requested date).
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we move to our new system after 20 years on the old one.
The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Inspection Request system allows you to schedule inspections, cancel inspections and retrieve inspection results via phone. The IVR System is available 24 hours/day and 7 days/week to:
- Check Permit Status
- Check Inspection Status
- Request a New Inspection
- Cancel a Requested Pending Inspection
- Change the Date for a Requested Pending Inspection
Use a touch-tone phone and call the IVR phone number: 866-458-7358. The Voice Permits system will prompt you through the steps during your call. You may perform multiple transactions during each call. At the end of the call you will be issued a confirmation number. We recommend that you keep a record of your confirmation numbers and associated transactions in case they are needed for future reference.
Before calling the IVR System, be sure you have the following information on hand:
- A Touch-Tone Phone
- A Permit with its unique 6-digit IVR PIN number (listed on your permit next to inspection codes)
- Permit number on your issued permit
- Site Address
- Appropriate 3-digit Inspection Code (refer to your permit or IVR Brochure for inspection codes)
Choose from the following options:
- Press 1 - Schedule an Inspection
- Press 2 - Cancel an Inspection
- Press 3 - Obtain Inspection Results
- Press 0 - Transfer to Staff
- Press * - Additional Information
- Press (# Hash) - Disconnect and Hang Up
Schedule an Inspection
- Enter the IVR PIN Number, followed by the # key. The system will confirm this permit by speaking back the site address.
- Enter the desired 3- digit Inspection Code from the list on the outside of the brochure or on your permit.
- The cut-off time is 11 pm for an inspection on the next business day, if slots are available.
After you have scheduled the inspection, you will be able to:
- Request another inspection, same permit
- Request another inspection, different permit
- Get a Confirmation Number and hang up. Use this Confirmation Number when inquiring about this telephone request.
Inspection Type Codes and Result Codes
- 110 Footing or Post holes
- 115 Foundation Reinforcement
- 120 Subsoil Inspection
- 130 Backfill Inspection
- 140 Rough Frame/Building - (240, 370, 410, 430, 440 - Prior Inspections Required)
- 150 Masonry-Brick Veneer Inspection
- 160 FRRCI - Fire Rated Inspection
- 170 Insulation Inspection
- 180 Masonry Fireplace Inspection
- 185 Setback Inspection
- 190 Final Building - Residential - (220, 299, 330, 399, 420, 499 - Prior Inspections Required)
- 195 Final Building - Commercial - (220, 299, 330, 399, 420, 499 - Prior Inspections Required)
- 210 Electrical Temporary Service
- 220 Electrical Permanent Service
- 230 Electrical Underground
- 240 Electrical Rough
- 250 Low Voltage Rough
- 260 Low Voltage Final
- 299 Final Electrical/Permanent (240 - Prior Inspection Required)
- 310 Plumbing Underground Inspection
- 320 Plumbing Hydro Test Inspection
- 330 Plumbing Sewer Inspection (Sewer Hook-Up)
- 335 Plumbing Sump 2 Storm Sewer Inspection
- 340 Plumbing Water Inspection (Water Hook-Up)
- 350 Plumbing Pressure Test Inspection
- 360 Plumbing Flush Test Inspection
- 370 Plumbing Shower Pan Inspection
- 380 Plumbing Rough Inspection
- 390 Plumbing Wtr/Swr MH Inspection
- 399 Plumbing Final Inspection (380 - Prior Inspection Required)
- 410 Mechanical Pre-Fab Fireplace Rough
- 420 Mechanical Pre-Fab Fireplace Final
- 430 Mechanical Underground LP Gas
- 440 Mechanical Rough
- 450 Mechanical Gas Pressure Test Inspection
- 460 Mechanical Hydro Test Inspection
- 470 Mechanical Flush Test Inspection
- 480 Mechanical Underground Inspection
- 499 Final Mechanical Inspection (440 - Prior Inspection Required)
- Scheduled - Inspection scheduled but not yet complete
- Cancelled * - Inspection Canceled
- Partial Pass* - Partial Approval
- Passed - Inspection Passed, and approved
- Re-inspection required - Inspection Failed (no Fee)
- Re-inspection required - Inspection failed (with fee)
*Caution: Canceled and Partial Pass result codes may have additional fees assessed.
- Submitted - Permit application received (NOT online), but a plan reviewer hasn't begun the review yet
- Submitted Online - Permit application received online and review not completed
- In Review - Permit is in plan review and not issued yet
- Issued - Permit work is in progress
- Stop Work Order - Permit work is currently stopped due to a Stop Work Order.
- Complete - Permit work is completed, and approved
- Expired - Permit expiration date has passed. Some permit types can be extended by contacting the the issuing department.
- Void - Permit is no longer valid.
- We have daily limits on inspections. If those limits have been reached, the system will give you the next available date.
- Make sure rough electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas test, and pre-fab fireplace inspections are done before calling for the rough building inspection. If the rough building inspection is called in before the other rough inspections, the rough building inspection will not be approved and a $50 re-inspection fee will be assessed.
- Make sure electrical, plumbing and mechanical final inspections are done before calling for the final building inspection:
- Electric/Permanent Service
- Final Pre-Fab Fireplace