In areas where public sewer is not available, homeowners must have septic systems (also known as sewage systems) installed on their property that will treat wastewater coming from their home.
Check prior records and maps for helpful information about properties:
- MapWashtenaw - Parcel maps and property data are available using this online mapping tool. View this online tutorial to learn how to use MapWashtenaw to create site plans.
- OnBase - Previous site plans; well, septic, building inspection and soil erosion permits are available in this online database. For the best results, only enter the street number of the address and search. Then, scroll through the records to find the property records you need.
Safe Digging with the Miss Dig Notification System
- Call 811 or go to Miss Dig three workdays before you dig!
- Wait for utilities to be marked.
- Check status at Miss Dig.
- Respect the marks.
- Dig with care.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the contractor or owner to contact the Miss Dig notification system at 811 or 800-482-7171 and comply with all requirements of the Miss Dig Underground Facility Damage Prevention and Safety Act before starting any excavation work.
Septic Systems & Emergencies
See guidance on taking care of your septic system when disaster strikes, such as flooding, snow and ice, and power outages.
Regulations & Guidelines
- Address Assignment by Township (PDF)
- Design Procedures and Engineering Standards for Pressure Distribution Networks (PDF)
- Engineering Guidelines for On-site Sewage Systems (PDF)
- General Construction Guidelines for On-site Sewage Systems (PDF)
- Guidelines for Approval of Pretreatment Devices for Failed Wastewater Systems (PDF)
- Guidelines for Installation of Pretreatment Devices for Failed Wastewater Systems (PDF)
- Guidelines for Sand Filter Systems and Final Absorption Trenches (PDF)
- List of Certified Sewage System Installation and Repair Contractors (PDF)
- Privately Owned Community Sewage Systems (POCSS) Regulation (PDF)
- Procedures and Guidelines for Privately Owned Community Sewage Systems (POCSS) (PDF)
- Processing Procedures and Guidelines for Subdivisions and Condominiums (PDF)
- Septic Tank Abandonment Affidavit (PDF)
- Septic Tank Installation Affidavit (PDF)
- Septic Tank Pumper Report (PDF)
- Washtenaw County Sewage Regulation (PDF)