File a Restaurant Complaint

The Environmental Health Division licenses and inspects over 1200 food service establishments in Washtenaw County. If you witnessed safety or sanitation issues at a food service facility, or you have concerns about unlicensed food service, please follow the instructions below.

If you believe you got sick from food you ate at a restaurant or grocery store, please visit our Foodborne Illness Reporting web page. Please do not submit an online form, as we need to talk to you directly.

Grocery Store, Convenience Store, Gas Station, Food Processing Facility Complaints

For complaints regarding a retail grocery store, convenience store, party store, processing facility or warehouse, please contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD):

Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Bars, etc. Complaints

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your Name, Address, and Phone Number (you can remain anonymous to the restaurant)
  • Name of restaurant
  • Location/address of restaurant (it must be in Washtenaw County)
  • Date of incident
  • Nature of complaint

Note: We do not handle basic customer service complaints such as rude waitstaff, lost reservations, or slow service time. Please report these incidents to the restaurant’s management.

Report Food Poisoning

If you believe you became ill from this incident, please see Reporting a Foodborne Illness.