Day Cares

Day care centers, children's camps, and foster care homes are licensed through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Washtenaw County inspects these facilities as part of an agreement we have with DHHS.

If you wish to open a day care facility, your first step is to contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Licensing Unit at 517-241-2488, or Toll Free at 866-685-0006. You can also go to the DHHS licensing website for specific licensing information.

Inspection Requests

If DHHS requires you to have an Environmental Health inspection, you will be given an Environmental Health Inspection Request Form (PDF). Please complete the form and submit a copy to our office with a payment. Applications will not be processed without payment. A listing of current fees, as well as a Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF) can be found on our Applications, Forms and Fees page. Mail, fax or drop off your Environmental Health Inspection Request Form (PDF) and payment to our office.

Inspection Appointments

Once the inspection request form and payment are received, a Sanitarian (health inspector) will contact you to schedule an appointment for your inspection. The Sanitarian will use the requirements listed in the Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers (PDF). Specifically, we look at the information listed under Part 2 - Environmental Health Provisions on pages 24 to 33. If applicable, we will also look at Part 5 - Swimming Provisions on pages 45 to 46.

Radon Tests

Part of the requirements to operate may include a radon test, depending on your type of facility. Typically, Family and Group Child Care Homes (PDF) require a radon test of the lowest level of the home, with results showing the level to be below 4.0 pCi/L. Check with your licensing consultant to see if this requirement applies to you. If radon testing is required, please contact Angie Parsons for a free radon home testing kit!