The judges of the Trial Court, led by Chief Judge Carol Kuhnke, rely upon the Trial Court Administrator, Steve Matthews, and his staff to oversee and manage all the non-judicial functions of the Court. These activities include:
- Budgeting and finance
- Caseflow and jury management
- Community and media relations
- Human resources
- Liaison with other governmental entities at the state and local level
- Space management
- Technology development, implementation and use
The Court Administrator works closely with the judges in defining the Court’s goals and objectives, developing short and long-term strategic plans, and designing management strategies to meet the needs of the public and the Court.
The administration of the Washtenaw County Trial Court includes several professional court managers who serve as heads of important divisions or work units:
- Steve Matthews, as the Court Administrator, oversees and manages all the non-judicial functions of the Court. Email Steve Matthews
- Robert Carbeck, as the Chief Deputy Court Administrator-Referee, serves alongside the Court Administrator and oversees budget and fiscal operations and serves as the Probate Register. Email Robert Carbeck.
- Lindsay Ryan serves as the Court Services Director responsible for all clerical activity in the Civil / Criminal, Juvenile, Probate and Domestic / Personal Protective Orders areas of the Trial Court. Email Lindsay Ryan.
- Kathryne O’Grady serves as the Juvenile Division Director, responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Juvenile Court. Email Kathryne O’Grady.
- Kristy Bray serves as the Friend of the Court Director, overseeing daily operations. Email Kristy Bray.