Information for Schools, Preschools & Childcare Centers
The Michigan Public Health Code requires schools, preschools and childcare centers to report student immunization levels and communicable illnesses to their local public health department. Requirements apply to both public and private schools and childcare settings.
Immunization reporting utilizes the Michigan Care Improvement Registry/Schools Immunization Reporting System (MCIR/SIRS). Communicable disease reporting can be completed using email or fax. The information and forms are provided in the packets below.
MCIR / SIRS Immunization Reporting Packets - Fall 2020
Packets for Reporting Personnel - These packets contain information for school and childcare center immunization and disease reporting personnel.
Washtenaw County Health Department Related Links
- Information on COVID and Schools, Childcare, Camps, and Sports.
- Communicable Diseases- including disease reporting and fact sheets
- Schools reporting communicable diseases (PDF) - Washtenaw County Health Department wants to recognize schools and child care centers who have supported the efforts to keep the population of Washtenaw County healthy. This report lists schools and child care centers who have submitted at least one mandated weekly communicable disease report during the 2018-2019 school year. Please check back each semester for an updated list.
- Managing Communicable Diseases in Schools (PDF) - Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Immunization Program - call 734-544-6700 to schedule
- Fact sheet: "When Should a Child Be Kept Home or Sent Home from School for Illness (PDF)"
- Fact sheet: "School Exclusion during Disease Outbreaks (PDF)"
- Washtenaw County Health Statistics - including communicable disease and local flu trends, and vaccination rates